Coming forward onto the pages of your life…
is perhaps the most important step in realizing a meaningful life.
Join renowned storytelling trio, Kevin Kling, Patricia Francisco, and Matthew Sanford for a weekend of transformation. This experiential workshop explores the role of both mind and body in recognizing and telling the stories of our lives. Participants will laugh; they may cry, but they will explore how stories give meaning to our experience. Through a variety of expressive modes, including speaking, writing, and very basic mind-body practices, participants will discover, shape, and prepare stories for sharing with others. The goal is to help participants realize the stories of their lives. This workshop will be limited to 18 participants in order to allow significant individual work with the workshop leaders. Participants need NOT be a yogi, a writer, or a storyteller. They need only a healthy curiosity and an openness to exploration.
Click here to watch a short video of the weekend.
The Nuts and Bolts
Thursday: 6:00pm – 8:00pm • Minneapolis, MN
- A special gathering for workshop participants. Please stay tuned for more details.
Friday: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm • Mill City Museum
- 9:00am – 10:15am Touching the Intangible: A Realization of Body / Matthew Sanford
- 10:30am – 12:00pm Story Generation / Patricia Francisco
- 12:00pm – 1:30pm Lunch and Work on your own
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm Stories Out Loud / Kevin Kling
- 2:30pm – 3:15pm Individual Writing Time
- 3:15pm – 4:00pm Mind-Body Practice
Saturday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm • Mill City Museum
- 9:00am – 10:00am Trusting the Space Around You: More Exploration of Body / Matthew Sanford
- 10:15am – 12:30pm Moving Into the Story / Patricia, Kevin, and Matthew
- 11:30am – 12:30pm Laughter and Story as Archetype and Healing / Kevin Kling
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm Lunch
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm Transforming Story / Patricia, Kevin, and Matthew
- 2:30pm – 4:00pm Receiving Story – Patricia/Kevin/Matthew
- 4:00pm-5:00pm Mind-Body Practice/Send-off Story – Matthew/Kevin
Sunday: 9:00am – 12:30 pm • Mill City Museum
- 9:00am – 12:00pm Opening Your Story to Others
- 12:00pm – 12:30pm Mind-Body Practice
* Schedule subject to change
Registration is limited to the first 18 participants. Minimum of 12 participants required.
The Cast and Crew…
Kevin Kling Kevin is a world-renowned storyteller, playwright, and author. Kevin Kling, best known for his popular commentaries on National Public Radio’s All Things Considered and his storytelling stage shows like Tales from the Charred Underbelly of the Yule Log, delivers hilarious, often tender stories. Kling’s autobiographical tales are as enchanting as they are true to life: hopping trains, getting hit by lightning, performing his banned play in Czechoslovakia, growing up in Minnesota, and eating things before knowing what they are.
Patricia Francisco Patricia is an award-winning author and professor of creative writing at Hamline University. She is the author of TELLING: A Memoir of Rape and Recovery (Harper Collins, 1999), for which she was awarded a Minnesota Book Award, a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship, and a Loft-McKnight Award of Distinction. Francisco’s published work also includes a novel (Cold Feet, Simon & Schuster, 1988) essays (Village Without Mirrors, Milkweed Editions, 1989), and a play (Lunacy, Dramatic Publishing Company, 1983). She has been awarded two Bush Foundation fellowships and grants from the Minnesota State Arts Board in both fiction and the essay.
Matthew Sanford Matthew is a nationally recognized yoga teacher, a sought-after public speaker, founder of the nonprofit Mind Body Solutions, and a paraplegic for the last thirty-seven years. He is the author of the critically acclaimed Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence (Rodale: 2006) and speaks at conferences, corporations, and higher learning institutions nationwide. Matthew has also emerged as a leading voice in the integrated health movement. He won the 2010 Pioneer of Integrative Medicine Award from the California Pacific Medical Center’s Institute of Health and Healing. Previous recipients include Dr. Deepok Chopra, Dr. Dean Ornish, and Dr. Mehmet Oz. He also has appeared on NBC’s Today Show, People Magazine, and American Public Media’s On Being.