For Yoga Teachers
We help yoga teachers learn to adapt yoga for individuals living with disabilities. This process deepens teachers’ overall understanding of yoga, improving their own practice and all aspects of their teaching. Our training goes beyond adapting particular yoga poses and involves:
- Helping teachers find commonality between their own yoga practice and that of their adaptive students.
- Offering a different way of approaching yoga poses, one that emphasizes the experience created through the poses and not just their physical accomplishment.
- Providing strategies for adapting whole categories of poses, such as standing poses, as well as techniques for adapting individual poses.
- Sharing insights on facilitating an individual one-on-one session, as well as sequencing and teaching a group class.
- Improving teacher aptitude for giving and receiving adjustments.
- Impressing on teachers that learning to adapt yoga is both a personal journey and an exercise in increasing their knowledge of yoga.
We offer a 3-day workshop on adapting yoga for disability. Topics covered include:
- Teaching the Experience of a Pose
- Adapting Standing, Seated and Inverted Poses
- Planning, Sequencing and Observing an Adaptive Class
Yoga teacher workshops are held at our studio in Minnetonka, MN. Yoga
teachers come to the Twin Cities from across the country for these
We are also developing a handbook for yoga teachers, as well as a second workshop on advanced techniques for adapting yoga.