At Mind Body Solutions, we are redefining the fundamental nature of ability and disability. We are developing a mind-body approach for people living with disabilities and their caregivers based on the following beliefs:
- Disability is best understood, lived with and approached as a mind-body issue.
- Deepening the connection between mind and body positively transforms the experience of living with a disability in practical and tangible ways.
- Mind-body awareness is best taught through personal relationships — meaning connecting mind and body is essential for both people living with a disability and their caregivers.
- The mind-body relationship is reciprocal in nature. The mind teaches the body and the body teaches the mind — this insight is crucial for our approach to benefit someone living with a disability.
- People living with disabilities have unique and powerful insights to share about the interaction between minds and bodies.
We believe the mind-body insights that come from yoga poses are accessible to everyone. We adapt yoga by teaching the experience created through each pose, giving our students access to a level of mind-body sensation not affected by their disability. This approach has a wide range of benefits including:
- Increased strength, balance and flexibility — both mental and physical
- Rhythm, an inward sense of direction and the ability to move through life in a more integrated way
- The capacity to live more fully within the body
- An enhanced ability to manage stress
- A deepened sense of connection with others
- Hope and a renewed sense of freedom
We subsidize the cost of group classes, one-on-one instruction and workshops for those living with a disability.